Orientation Week Information
We are excited that you have chosen to attend Whitman College and look forward to your arrival in the fall. We are currently in the process of designing the fall 2014 orientation program to provide you with an introduction to the academic and social culture of the campus. In addition to advising and registration sessions designed to help you prepare for fall semester classes, there will be many residence hall programs, guest speakers, dances, and other organized activities to help you feel comfortable and welcome in the Whitman community.
Below is a brief overview of the orientation schedules for students and parents which you and your family may find useful when making arrangements for your arrival on campus.
For the full schedule, click here.
Information for new students:
- All new students should plan to arrive at Whitman College on Thursday, August 28. Residence halls open at 9 a.m. that day and we request that all new students check in at their residence halls no later than 2 p.m.
- A free shuttle service will be available on Thursday, August 28, between Whitman College and the Walla Walla Regional Airport. If you or your family would like to take the shuttle, please send your name, flight arrival time and number of passengers to Barbara Maxwell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Orientation activities officially begin at 4 p.m. on Thursday, August 28. From this time until classes begin on September 2 there will be a full schedule of activities and events planned for new students.
Information for parents:
- An integral part of Orientation Week 2014 is Parents Orientation, which is a comprehensive two-day program. The first session begins at 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, August 28, and the final event ends at 5 p.m. on Friday, August 29. New students will not be available to go out to dinner with their families on Friday, August 29, as we have intentionally planned an evening schedule of activities to further ease students' transition to Whitman. Thank you for your understanding and support.
- If you need to make arrangements for overnight accommodations in Walla Walla, we suggest that you make reservations as soon as possible. For a complete listing of lodging options in Walla Walla, please refer to the Walla Walla Valley Chamber of Commerce web site at www.wwvchamber.com.
A complete schedule of student and parent orientation 2014 events will be available on the orientation website (www.whitman.edu/orientation) by June 15, 2014. On Thursday, August 28, students will receive a printed students orientation schedule when they check-in at their residence hall while parents will receive a printed parents orientation schedule when they check in at Reid Campus Center. If you would like more information about either orientation schedule prior to June 15, please contact Barbara Maxwell, Associate Dean of Students/Student Programs at 509-527-5208 or email@example.com.