The Language Learning Center (LLC) Student Consultants are student employees of the Language Learning Center. They assist student and faculty LLC users and maintain LLC facilities. Additional responsibilities (such as digitizing or film screenings) may also be assigned. The LLC Student Consultants are under the direct supervision of the Language Learning Center Manager, but will often be required to interact directly with the faculty of the departments of Foreign Languages and Literatures (FLL) and Spanish.
- Assist the campus community in the use of the LLC facilities. These tasks include, but are not limited to the following:
- Play a recorded program from the DVR to the TVs in the main room
- Play a VHS or DVD on the TVs in the main room.
- Assist users who need to listen to audio and video material from CLEO or the internet
- Assist users with specific programs such as Amadeus or VoiceThread
- Consistently follow current procedures for maintaining the appearance and the security of the lab environment.
- Assist the LLC Manager, language faculty, and Technology Services staff in identifying and solving hardware and software problems relating to the use of lab equipment.
- Complete assigned LLC projects in a timely manner.
- Update documentation for the LLC equipment as needed.
- Arrive on time for all shifts and remain in the LLC for the duration of your shift. If you are unable to work a shift, you are responsible for finding a substitute at least 24 hours in advance, and then notifying the LLC Manager of the substitution. An LLC Student Consultant who misses his/her shift three times may be subject to termination. Arriving over 20 minutes late to a shift counts as missing a shift.
- Project a professional demeanor, representing the LLC in an appropriate fashion.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Interest in language learning and intercultural communication.
- Willingness to actively maintain a working knowledge of all equipment and software used in the lab.
- Basic familiarity with (or clearly demonstrated willingness to learn) both Mac and PC platforms, AV equipment, internet applications, and text editing software.
- Ability to work unsupervised and commitment to the success of the LLC.
Recommended Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Individuals with experience or knowledge in these areas will be given additional consideration commensurate with their level.
- Language Skills: Students who are bilingual are given preference, and international students are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Students who have taken or are currently enrolled in at least one course from the Department of FLL or Spanish also have an advantage.
- Knowledge of AV equipment.
- Experience with audio or video production such as recording, filming, basic video editing, or other multimedia applications.
- HTML or other web development experience.
Terms of Employment
Language Learning Center Student Consultants are employed for the duration of the academic year (or semester when appropriate), or until termination, resignation, or graduation. Termination may result from failure to perform duties and responsibilities as detailed in this job description. Current LLC Student Consultants may be given priority in the hiring process at the discretion of the Language Learning Center Manager.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please fill out this application. Please send the application to Jennifer Mouat, Whitman College, Olin Hall 316, 345 Boyer Avenue, Walla Walla, WA 99362 or by email to email@example.com. If you have any questions, please contact Jennifer Mouat at (509) 527-5898.