The Language Learning Center (LLC) Technical Assistants are student employees of the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures. They assist student and faculty LLC users and maintain LLC facilities. Additional responsibilities (such as digitizing or film screenings) will be assigned according to language area. The LLC Technical Assistants are under the direct supervision of the Language Learning Center Coordinator, but will often be required to interact directly with the faculty of the department of Foreign Languages and Literatures.
- Assist the campus community in the use of the LLC facilities. These tasks include, but are not limited to the following:
- Play a recorded program from the DVR to the TVs in the main room
- Play a VHS or DVD on the TVs in the main room.
- Assist users who need to listen to audio and video material from CLEO or the internet
- Assist users with specific programs such as Amadeus or VoiceThread
- Consistently follow current procedures for maintaining the appearance and the security of the lab environment.
- Assist Technology Services staff, LLC Coordinator, and Foreign Languages faculty in identifying and solving hardware and software problems relating to the use of lab equipment.
- Complete assigned LLC projects in a timely manner.
- Update documentation for the LLC equipment as needed.
- Arrive on time for all shifts and remain in the LLC for the duration of your shift. If you are unable to work a shift, you are responsible for finding a substitute at least 24 hours in advance, and then notifying the LLC Coordinator of the substitution. An LLC Technical Assistant who misses his/her shift three times may be subject to termination. Arriving over 20 minutes late to a shift counts as missing a shift.
- Project a professional demeanor, representing the LLC in an appropriate fashion.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must have taken or be currently enrolled in at least one course from the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures or the Department of Spanish at Whitman College.
- Willingness to actively maintain a working knowledge of all equipment and software used in the lab.
- Basic familiarity (or clearly demonstrated willingness to learn) with both Mac and PC platforms, AV equipment, internet applications, and text editing software.
- Ability to work unsupervised and commitment to the success of the LLC.
Recommended Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Individuals with experience or knowledge in these areas will be given additional consideration commensurate with their level.
- Language Skills: Students at the advanced level of one of the languages taught at Whitman College.
- Knowledge of AV equipment.
- Experience with software found on lab machines (Microsoft Office Suite, Web Browsers, etc.)
- Experience with audio or video production such as recording, filming, or basic video editing.
- Experience with multimedia applications (graphics, desktop publishing, Photoshop, PowerPoint).
- HTML or other web development experience.
Terms of Employment
Language Learning Center Technical Assistants are employed for the duration of the academic year (or semester when appropriate), or until termination, resignation, or graduation. Termination may result from failure to perform duties and responsibilities as detailed in this job description. Current LLC Assistants may be given priority in the hiring process at the discretion of the Language Learning Center Coordinator and the faculty of the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please fill out the application located on the Language Learning Center web site. Please send the application to Jennifer Mouat, Whitman College, Olin Hall 316, 345 Boyer Avenue, Walla Walla, WA 99362 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions, please contact Jennifer Mouat at (509) 527-5898.