Off-Campus Student Rental Policy
RENTAL POLICIES – STUDENT HOUSES AND APARTMENTS
You must be a current Whitman student entering your Junior or Senior Year.
The selection process will be done as a lottery. The lottery will work as follows:
- Applications for the rental property must be filled out and returned to the Business Office Memorial Building Room 233 by February 14, 2014. The drawing will be held February 17, 2014.
- Applicant name/number will be drawn in a random drawing, first picked will have their first selection – if your first choice is not available when your name is drawn, selection will be your 2nd choice or 3rd choice (which ever is available). You will not need to be present at the drawing.
- Applicants will be contacted to advise which rental they have been drawn for.
- Applicant or proxy and all roommates will have one week from that notice to sign the lease and pay the necessary deposits on the house or apartment. Checks should be made payable to Whitman College. If the necessary signatures and deposits are not made within that week, the property will be made available to other applicants.
Terms of Lease
Leases run from June 1 to May 31, unless otherwise specified. You are required to pay rent for the summer months. If you are not in town during the summer you can mail your monthly rent payment to: Whitman College, c/o Cindy Russell, 345 Boyer Ave, Walla Walla, WA 99362.
May rent will not be prorated. The lease is a one year lease and you are responsible for the entire 12 months.
Deposits and moving in expenses
- Security/Damage/Cleaning Deposit is equal to one month’s rent, per person.
- Last month’s rent or pre-paid rent equal to one month’s rent (applied to your May rent or last month’s rent of your lease), per person
- Key deposit - $50, per person and key
- Your first month’s rent (June, etc) will be due the month your lease starts
The monthly lease amount includes WSG, electrical and heat. Please note telephone and internet are not provided.
Check In Appointment
All tenants must schedule a check-in appointment with Cindy Russell, Scott Towslee, or Laura Nix prior to moving into the unit. At the check-in the tenant, along with Whitman staff will note the condition of the property and the key for the unit is provided to the tenant. Tenant may move belongings into a residence after the check-in. Check in appointments are scheduled Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am until 4:30 pm.
We restrict moving ones belongings into a house which will be renovated and/or have other interior maintenance done during the first part of the summer. Your rent will be prorated to the date of completion of said work.
Do not move belongings into a house before June 1st or the beginning of your lease.
Whitman does not carry insurance on your belongings. If you are not covered by your parent’s homeowners insurance we strongly suggest you obtain renters insurance. Please read item number 9 in your lease.
There will be a charge of $100 for each additional person exceeding the number of bedrooms in a house or apartment. They will also have to sign the lease, schedule a check in and pay the applicable deposits.
No one is permitted to live in areas which have insufficient egress. This includes any basement room which hasn’t been renovated to allow easy exit for any person in that area. If we find that a person is living in an area without egress, they will be asked to leave or move upstairs immediately. We will be checking the situation randomly.
We prefer that you have no pets.They are a tremendous amount of work for people as busy as you! However, we realize that some of you may want to have a pet anyway. House tenants may have up to two (2) pets. You have to pay a $500 nonrefundable fee PER PET. If it has been established that you acquire a pet and the fee has not been paid, we will deduct it from your damage deposit. Please note that if your pet does any damage to the house or yard you will be charged for any repairs over the amount of your pet fee and damage deposit. If the cost exceeds your deposits it will be added to your student account.
A $50 late charge will be assessed if you do not pay your rent by the 10th of the month. If the 10th falls on a weekend you need to pay the Friday before. Remember, you are responsible for payment of your rent.
At the end of your lease when you are ready to move out, you will need to make an appointment with Cindy Russell or Scott Towslee to conduct the check-out of the residence by calling 527-5745 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Remember that there are a large number of people checking out. If you don’t call and set up a time well in advance, it may delay your leaving on the day you planned.
If you are not checked out by Cindy Russell, Scott Towslee or another person from this office you will forfeit your security/damage and key deposits.
All belongings must be removed before the time of the inspection and no later than May 31.
Keys must be returned during the check out. No inspections will be scheduled after 4 o’clock in the afternoon. If the residence doesn’t pass inspection, you will be charged for any work done on the facility including cleaning, repairs, etc.
Refunds will be issued within 14 days after inspection.
If you have questions or need further information, please contact Cindy Russell, 527-5745 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.