Go to the previous, next section.
Different commands are available to you in rn depending on whether you
are already in a newsgroup or reading a specific article. At any point,
typing a lowercase `h' will bring up a list of available commands
and some terse instructions for using them. Here are some of them:
After you've just called up rn, or within a newsgroup:
- Marks every article in a newsgroup as read (or "caught up")
so that you don't have to see them again. The system will ask
you if you are sure. Can be done either when asked if you
want to read a particular newsgroup or once in the newsgroup.
- Goes to a newsgroup, in this form:
Use this both for going to groups to which you're already
subscribed and subscribing to new groups.
- Provides a list of available commands with terse
- Gives a list of all available newsgroups.
- Goes to the first previous subscribed newsgroup with un-read
- Quits, or exits, rn if you have not yet gone into a newsgroup.
If you are in a newsgroup, it quits that one and brings you to
the next subscribed newsgroup.
Only within a newsgroup:
- Gives a list of all available articles in the newsgroup.
- Marks a specific article or series of articles as "un-read"
again so that you can come back to them later. Typing
`1700m' and hitting enter would mark just that article as un-read.
and hitting enter would mark all of those articles as un-read.
- Copies the current article to a file in your News directory,
where "file" is the name of the file you want to save it to.
You'll be asked if you want to use "mailbox" format when
saving. If you answer by hitting your `N' key, most of the
header will not be saved.
- Brings up the next page of article listings. If already on
the last page, displays the first article in the newsgroup.
- Un-subscribe from the newsgroup.
- Searches through the newsgroup for articles with a specific
word or phrase in the "Subject:" line, from the current
article to the end of the newsgroup. For example,
- would bring you to the first article with "EFF" in the
- The same as `/text/' except it searches in reverse order from
the current article.
Only within a specific article:
- If you post an article and then decide it was a mistake, call
it up on your host system and hit this. The message will soon
begin disappearing on systems around the world.
- Post a public response in the newsgroup to the current
article. Includes a copy of her posting, which you can then
edit down using your host system's text editor.
- The same as above except it does not include a copy of the
original message in yours.
- Marks the current article as "un-read" so that you can come
back to it later. You do not have to type the article
- Brings up the first response to the article. If there is no
follow-up article, this returns you to the first unread article
in the newsgroup).
- Goes to the message to which the current article is a reply.
- Goes to the next unread article in the newsgroup.
- Takes you to the next article in the newsgroup even if you've
already read it.
- Quits, or exits, the current article. Leaves you in the current
- Reply, via e-mail only, to the author of the current article.
Includes a copy of his message in yours.
- The same as above, except it does not include a copy of his
s |mail user
- Mails a copy of the article to somebody. For "user" substitute
an e-mail address. Does not let you add comments to the
message first, however.
- Hitting the space bar shows the next page of the article, or, if
at the end, goes to the next un-read article.
Go to the previous, next section.