Library Use Policies
Penrose Library is committed to maintaining collections that exist as common resources to be shared, preserved, and respected in a manner guaranteeing protection for future users. The ethical use of library materials involves acceptance of this principle and appropriate conduct regarding library collections. We are committed to providing a space for the Whitman community to study, collaborate, and research.
- Food and beverages must be covered and kept in spill-proof containers.
- Smoking or the use of tobacco is not permitted in Penrose Library.
- The Allen Reading Room is designated as a quiet study area in the library. Please be courteous of other library visitors who prefer to work in a quiet area.
Circulation and Access Policies
Please see our Borrow, Renew, Request page for information how to borrow materials, loan periods, fines, and other borrowing policies.
Inappropriate Use of Library Materials
Inappropriate use includes, but is not limited to:
- Writing upon, defacing, tearing, cutting, mutilating, or destroying books or other library property
- The willful concealment of a book or other library property on one's person or among one's belongings while attempting to leave, or leaving the premises of the Library without formal borrowing through the Circulation Desk
- The willful concealment of a book or other Library property within the Library
- The willful removal of a book or other Library property in contravention to Library regulations
- The intentional alteration or destruction of library ownership records
Engaging in inappropriate use of materials will jeopardize library borrowing privileges.