THE NORTHWEST PARLI WARMUP
September 22 and 23, 2012 (Saturday and Sunday)
Hosted by Bellevue College
Denise and I are excited to be offering the Northwest Parli Warmup, the year-starting tournament at Bellevue College this fall, 2012.
The tournament features:
· Six rounds of parliamentary debate plus elimination rounds.
· Platform –NEW!--, Impromptu and Extemp 2 quick rounds plus finals–NO FEES
· Breakfast, Snacks and great hospitality.
· Relaxed atmosphere and fun getting to know new coaches and debaters.
· Topic areas, Warm room, Prep rooms, and 1 minute prep time/cross-examination before speeches during the rounds.
Please join us for a great debate tournament this fall.
Denise Vaughan email@example.com
Tournament Host and Director
Jim Hanson firstname.lastname@example.org
Tournament Tab Management
The Marriott Courtyard Bellevue Downtown
$99. Two queens, up to 4 People. Cost per night; tax additional.
Reserve by Sept. 1.
Call 1-800-716-5874 or use the link below to make your reservations. Ask for the NW Parli Warmup Block.
Address 11010 NE 8th Street, Downtown Bellevue near the I-405/NE 8th St Interchange; about 10 minutes from Bellevue College.
NOT SE 8th Street.
Most teams will want to check in Friday, Sept. 21 and check out Sunday, Sept. 23.
Arrive 9am, Saturday, September 22; 6 Prelim Rounds; finish by 9:30pm.
Arrive 9am; Elims on Sunday, September 23; Finals finish by 8:00pm, Sunday with the first elim expected to be octafinals.
IEs happen on Sunday; see the schedule below.
Sorry, the tournament is unable to provide ground transportation but there are rail, bus, taxi, and rental car options.
· NOVICE-ROOKIE (no high school or college debate tournament experience)
· JUNIOR (no more than 4 semesters of college debate; has not been in elimination rounds of college junior or open division debate more than 3 times)
· SENIOR (open to anyone)
2. TIME LIMITS:
Topic Centrally Announced
20 minutes Prep
7 min. PMC
1 min. prep/cx
8 min. LOC
1 min. prep/cx
8 min. MG
1 min. prep/cx
8 min. MO
4 min. LOR
1 min. prep/cx
5 min. PMR
POIs still occur as is normal in parliamentary debates. Prep-CX does not replace it.
CX works as is normal with the speaker who just spoke taking questions. “Tag-team” CX is fine too.
3. 6 ROUNDS PLUS APPROPRIATE ELIMS
4. MPJ/STRIKES: Teams may choose to use MPJ (1, 2, 3, and one strike) or a small number of strikes with the remaining judges as 2’s or no strikes and all judges as 2’s.
1. TOPIC AREAS: The Topic Areas will be announced about a month before the tournament occurs. They’ll be solicited on net benefits and via email. Jim will edit the list and then participants may vote. The vote will decide the topic areas with minimal editing by Jim mainly to avoid repetitive topics or to tweak the wordings of a topic area.
FOR FALL 2012
____ The US congress should implement the Dream Act, the Democrat’s “Conceptual Proposal for Immigration Reform,” and/or the 6th step of Gingrich’s proposal for legal status for currently undocumented people in the United States. (note—‘citizenship’ replaced by ‘legal status’ in this topic area; see the 6th step in Gingrich’s 10 steps to legal status)
____ The USFG should extend and/or expand the Violence Against Women Act.
____ The United States federal government should substantially increase protections against cyberterrorism and/or cyberwarfare in the United States.
2. RESOLUTIONS Teams will debate resolutions that the tournament will announce online at The NPW Warm Room Page and in a central location 20 minutes before rounds begin. The resolutions will be based on the topic areas.
PARLI DEBATE BREAKS:
The break to elimination rounds will be based on, in order, the following: Win-loss record; Adjusted speaker points (drop high-lows); Total Speaker points; and Win-loss record of opposing teams.
We will advance up to half the field so long as we have sufficient judges to do so but we’ll break to doubles only if there are 36 or more teams.
We will break brackets in the elimination rounds using the drop down one slot method used by Gary Larson and Rich Edwards.
PARLI DEBATE SPEAKER RANKINGS: Adjusted speaker points (drop high-lows); Total Speaker points; Double-adjusted speaker points (drop two highs; two lows); Z score.
DEBATE AWARDS: All elimination participants.
DEBATE SPEAKER AWARDS: Top half in each division.
entering a student in IEs.
No Fee for the first four students from each school.
· Platform, Impromptu and Extemp only. Sorry, no other events.
· Students may enter only one event.
· Impromptu will use a quotation, a word, and a question. Normal NIET rules, 7 minutes total speaking/preparation time.
· Extemp will have 3 questions on political and social issues during the past month. 7 minutes speaking time.
Platform is for Persuasive,
Informative, and After Dinner Speeches; PowerPoints
permitted; prepared ahead however manuscript is not required. 10 minutes
NIET rules EXCEPT that PRELIM EXTEMP topics are announced 2 to 3 days before the tournament starts (to save time during the tournament).
Students may use the internet for their research except for Finals.
2. DIVISIONS OF PLATFORM, EXTEMP AND IMPROMPTU
· OPEN DIVISION (Open to anyone)
· JUNIOR DIVISION (You have not advanced to elims 6 or more times in junior/senior division college or hs toc division/nfl nationals tournaments and you have not competed 12 or more times in junior/senior division college or hs toc division/nfl nationals tournaments in Impromptu or Extemp or Platform.)
· Platform/Extemp/Impromptu divisions may be collapsed if there are less than 12 competitors in a division (subject to tournament director discretion); Awards and if appropriate, a separate finals round, will be provided for competitors in a collapsed division.
3. PLATFORM, EXTEMP, AND IMPROMPTU ARE IN THE SAME PATTERN
· You can enter ONLY ONE event; you choose impromptu or extemp or platform.
4. PLATFORM-EXTEMP-IMPROMPTU BREAKS AND FINALS RANKINGS:
· Breaking to finals will be based on prelim results. Final results will be based on the finals ballots. Sorting will be done based on this order: Total rankings; Total rating; Total ranking and rating minus the worst ranking and rating; Judge preference.
· We will break to finals the number of legs in that event except that if there is a tie, we’ll break tied competitors unless that would create an elimination round with more than 6 competitors.
5. PLATFROM-EXTEMP-IMPROMPTU AWARDS:
· 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Finalists.
· If Platform, Impromptu or Extemp is collapsed, we will provide equivalent awards for the junior division competitors.
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 22
9:00 Park in the Parking Lot behind Building R.
GO TO THE L BUILDING.
Registration, see Denise Saturday morning at the Continental Breakfast.
For the environment’s sake, we ask that you bring your own water bottle for refills.
9:30am – 11:00am
11:30am – 1:00pm Parli Rd 2
1:00pm – 1:30pm Lunch provided by the tournament
1:30pm - 3:00pm Parli Rd 3
3:30pm - 5:00pm Parli Rd 4
5:00pm - 5:30pm Pizza snack provided by the tournament
5:30pm - 7:00pm Parli Rd 5
7:30pm - 9:00pm Parli Rd 6
10:00pm Elim participants and Judges posted online.
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 23
9:00 Continental Breakfast provided by the tournament
9:30am - 11:15am Elim 1 (all judges required to judge as posted night before)
11:15am – 12:45pm IE 1 and 2
Noon – 1:00pm Lunch provided by the tournament
1:00pm - 2:45pm Elim 2 (all judges required to judge)
Judges leaving? Tell Jim ASAP. After Elim 2, Judges are committed 1 round past school’s last elim debate.
1:45pm - 3:15pm IE Finals (students in Elim 2 will do their ie’s in the second half of the round)
3:15pm - 3:30pm Debate Awards
3:30pm - 5:15pm Elim 3
5:15pm – 5:30pm IE and Elim 3 Awards
5:30pm - 7:15pm Elim 4
Enter your teams and judges at http://www.forensicstournament.net/nw-parli-warmup/12
Entry Deadline is 5pm, Tuesday, Sept. 18
School Fee: $30
Each Debate Team is $75 (includes Sat breakfast, lunch, dinner; Sun breakfast, lunch)
Each uncovered team is $150.
IE Slots beyond 4: $10 each (first four are free).
Each IE judge covers 4 slots.
Judges covering the first 4 slots receive $25 (judge prelims and finals as noted on Sunday on the schedule).
Each uncovered IE slot is $10 beyond 4 (first four slots are free).
Write checks to Bellevue College.
1 team requires 4 round plus elims judge.
2 teams requires 6 round plus elims judge.
3 teams requires 10 rounds plus elims judges.
4 teams requires 12 rounds plus elims judges.
YOU MAY NOT HIRE JUDGING FOR MORE THAN 2 UNCOVERED TEAMS.
EACH UNCOVERED TEAM COSTS $150.
JUNIOR ONLY JUDGES?
2 Max Junior Only Judges. You may only count 2 Junior Only Judges as covering your commitment. Sorry; at the 2009 tournament, we were short on open judges.
Junior Judges are those with less than 2 years of experience coaching or debating.
DO YOU HAVE A JUDGE WE CAN HIRE? Please e-mail Jim at email@example.com We will pay $160 for judging Saturday all day and Sunday until 4:15pm and provide free food!
Got a judge willing to judge extra rounds? We pay $20 for each extra round.