Please read this page carefully
and then move on to the next page (link at the bottom of the page).
Following our tournament rules is very important so that everyone gets treated well, we have full use of Whitman’s facilities, and so that you don’t get into trouble.
We know most of this stuff is pretty obvious and kind of irritating to read but we hope it will prevent any misunderstandings.
· PLEASE, NO TALKING IN ACADEMIC BUILDING HALLWAYS FRIDAY 8AM TO 4PM except in your competition room with the door closed.
· PLEASE, NO TALKING IN RESIDENCE HALLS AT ANY TIME except in your competition room.
· Be nice to Whitties. Obey Staff and Faculty requests to be quiet and to leave an area. Respect Student Residence Hall Rooms and Lounges.
· Keep areas clean. Toss Trash and Cleanup Messes.
· Don’t touch equipment, computers, residence hall fridges, furniture, etc. DO NOT MOVE TABLES AND CHAIRS TO A DIFFERENT ROOM.
· Don’t play on campus art including the horses and other statues.
· Do NOT go into rooms before your round is scheduled to start if there is a class in there.
· Do NOT setup “shop” in a room. Use Reid to hang out.
· Sorry, you may not use the Library due to problems we had at the 2003 tournament.
Many of Whitman’ Library resources are available on the web. If you really need a book from the library, have your coach get it for you.
WIRELESS? Choose whitman_wireless,
open your web browser, and Sign on as a Guest.
To avoid overloading the system, try to connect away from the Reid Ballroom.
· Need a Computer/Printer? Go to Olin 180. Cost is $1. Printing is 5 cents per page.
a Photocopier? Go to Staples.
Get to Staples by going east on
Respect the space as you do when you are a guest in someone else's home.
Please do not eat on the lounge furniture.
Also, please toss your garbage into the trash cans.
PLEASE DON’T HANG OUT IN THE BOOKSTORE UNLESS YOU ARE PURCHASING ITEMS
Don’t read through magazines you aren’t going to purchase. Use the bookstore to buy t-shirts, memorabilia, magazines—not as a hang out.
PLEASE DON’T HANG OUT ON THE SECOND FLOOR OF REID
The second floor is an office area with people busy working on a variety of projects. Please stay off the second floor unless you have a round there.
Please do not take pillows and blankets from your hotel room.
Keep it quiet in the late evening and early morning—you will wake nearby guests.
POSTINGS 20-30 MIN. BEFORE YOUR ROUND STARTS AND BE ON TIME.
If you are late, you will lose with zero speaker points.
Also, leave your rounds on time. YOU ARE REQUIRED TO TELL THE JUDGE that you MUST leave for your next round so you don’t get forfeited. Do NOT allow judges to hold you for oral decisions/commentary if you will be late.
If your round is running late—you need to leave your room if a class is scheduled in the room. Complete the round in the hall, another room, etc.
DON’T ORDER BON APETIT
FOOD WITH LESS THAN 20 MINUTES.
You need to order food from Bon Apetit AT LEAST 20 MINUTES before your next round. Otherwise, you may be late because of the long times they take to get food done especially when it is busy. Eat the tournament provided food or wait until later.
You are strongly encouraged to adapt to your judges. In debate, some judges will be lay judges, some will be stock issues, some will be counterplan-disadvantage, some will be kritik and performance judges. THE TOURNAMENT IS NOT RESPONSIBLE for judges that you don’t like nor for judges that did not vote the way you want. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for adapting.
Complaints about judges are appropriate ONLY IF the judge violates a rule stated in the tournament invitation. Examples include:
· They cut your speaking time.
· They harassed you.
· They forced you to debate or speak about a topic not sanctioned by the tournament.
· They made you say things you weren’t comfortable with.
· They played computer games while you spoke.
NOTE: Decisions are NEVER overturned by the tournament unless something extremely serious happened. This has occurred once in the past 18 years (where a judge verbally assaulted a student during the debate). Don’t count on it. Instead, we will remove the offending judge from the tournament and charge the school hiring that judge a fee.
If you are in Champ LD or Policy and you receive a struck judge on the postings—REPORT IT TO THE BALLOT TABLE IMMEDIATELY. We will fix that.
Treat other participants—coaches, judges, and students--with respect. It’s common sense and it is the law.
Don’t make others feel uncomfortable or harassed with sexualized, mean, racist, sexist, or any kind of verbal attacks.
Don’t make others feel uncomfortable with unwanted touching.
If you see or experience a harassment or discrimination problem, please contact your coach, email Jim Hanson at email@example.com, or contact Clare Carson, our Title IX director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Dennis Hopwood, Human Resources Director, at email@example.com
You can and should also contact Security at 509-527-5777 or call 911 if you see or experience physical assault.
Problems? E-mail Jim Hanson at firstname.lastname@example.org