Dean McSloy, Director of Forensics and Visiting Professor of Speech
William H. Veatch, Ph. M., Lecturer in Speech, Traveling Coach
No story or picture appeared about the debate team to our knowledge.
A. Whitman gets a new President. Dr. Donald H. Sheenan becomes the 9th President of Whitman College
B. John Alexander MacLeod is Student Body President
C. Bob Coon is NSA Coordinator.
D. Jon Dvorak is 1st Vice President.
E. Bob Borsato is 2nd Vice President.
F. Kathy See is Secretary.
G. The Byrds played Cordiner Hall on November 23.
H. Whitman professors Dr. Edward Anderson & Dr. James Todd conduct research on the psychedelic cactus peyote.
big issue on campus is the
J. La Maison Francaise is built.
K. Phi Delts abandon their discrimination policy.
L. College tackles the issue of local poor migrant workers.
M. Students organize the "Free University," an independent series of classes to deal with liberal subjects.
N. The Masque, a literary magazine, is at the center of a controversy and shortly banned.
O. Leafletting is a weekly event.
P. A Whitman poll supports Richard Nixon.
Q. The Sherwood Center's gym is built.
Speech Major and Courses
The major ended in 1968. The department became a "teaching area."
SPEECH 11, 12. Fundamentals of Speech, 3 hours.
SPEECH 41. Theory and Practice of Discussion, 3 hours.
SPEECH 42. Argumentation and Persuasion, 3 hours.
SPEECH 43, 44. Principles and Practice of Debate, 2hours.
SPEECH 51. Business and Professional Speech, 3 hours.
SPEECH 53. Introduction to Radio and Television, 3 hours.
SPEECH 85, 86. Senior Honors Course, 3 hours.
A. The Vietnam War is raging, and American men are being drafted for service.
B. Anti-war protests are sweeping across college campuses
C. The Woodstock Music Festival is planned for the Summer of 1969.
D. A military coup overthrows the government of
E. Equatorial Guinea achieves its independence from
F. The 1st and 3rd place winners in the Olympic 200-meter run raise their arms in a black power salute.
G. Operation Commando Hunt begins, causing the
I. The Beatles’ White album is released.
J. Yasser Arafat is appointed leader of the PLO.
K. Apollo 9 successfully returns to earth after testing the lunar module.
1. Whitman Debate is coached by Dean F. McSloy and is assisted by William H Veatch, Lecturer in Speech.
2. At the Centralia College tournament, Clifford Brown and Ryan Crocker take 4th place and Robert Allum and Wayne Holt take 6th.
3. At a tournament hosted at
4. At the
5. At the Whitman tournament both the teams of Jeff Cook and Clifford Brown and Robert Allum and Wayne Holt are undefeated with a record of 6-0. Teams consisting of Margaret Foley and Linda Van Winkle and Karen Gross and Aleca Rudell are also undefeated with records of 3-0. Wayne Holt also recieved 3rd place in Oratory, while Pat Hoon received 1st place in extemp followed closely by Linda Van Winkle who took 3rd.
6. At the Linfield tournament Robert Bell took 1st in Oratory and Linda Van Winkle took 3rd in Impromptu.
7. At the Pi Kappa Delta tournament there were over 1100 participants, who provided stiff competition for Whitman. However, Whitman did walk away with a sweepstakes award in Excellence. This was made possible in part by the awards of Excellence received by Linda Van Winkle in Extemp and Robert Bell in Oratory.