Dean McSloy, Director of Forensics
Kenneth Garrison was president of Pi Kappa Delta.
Assistant Professor, Dramatic Arts and Speech
B.F.A., M.F.A., Carnegie Institute of Technology
The Yearbook Said
Front row, left to right: Lucie Murray, Bob Snelling, Vern Nelson, Mimi Michaelson, Steve Pollock.
Second row: Mark Marshall, Anita Merrell, Nancy Wynstra, Jill Burton, Pat Wise, Larry Davison, Don Dero.
Third row: Jim Gaukroger, Ken Garrison, Dave Upham, Rick Fuhrman, Norm Brock, George Pollock, John Lewallen.
was another highly successful year as Whitman debaters in five tournaments won
seven first places, eight second places, and five third places debating and
speaking individually. Winning at WSU were Steve Pollock and James Carter,
first in senior men's debate. Nancy Wynstra and Nancy
Poesnecker were first in the senior women's debate at
A. The college added 8 new professors to the faculty.
1. In the division of arts and letters Dr George Ball, professor of religion; and William O. Douglas, Jr., assistant in dramatics, were added.
2. New to the division of social sciences were Richard M. Fontera, instructor of political science and history; and Dr. Arnett A. Elliot, assistant professor of political science.
3. The division of basic sciences received Conrad White, assistant professor in mathematics; Dr. Ross Lomanitz, associate professor of physics; James S. Todd, assistant professor of chemistry; and Dr. Howard R. Hetzel, instructor of biology.
B. Kirk Prindle was student body president.
C. Lewis B. Perry was the college president.
D. A new language lab is opened, with state-of-the-art reproducing and play-back equipment.
E. Whitman's past president, Chester Maxey,
is elected mayor of
F. Construction of the new men's dorm was delayed until more money could be raised. Plans for a new science building were in the works. This was a particularly pressing need, as the current science building, Billings hall, was a refurbished dormitory with inadequate facilities in size and capabilities.
G. The Pioneer ran advertisements for the Roller-Rena, Standard Oil, and Sportleder's clothing store.
Speech Major and Courses
THE MAJOR: Thirteen hours selected from courses in speech; Dramatic Art 47, 48; twelve hours selected from English 25, 26, 35, 36, 39, 40, 75, 76, 79, 80; three hours selected from History 27, 28, 57, 58, 61, 62, 64. Of the total of thirty-six hours, eighteen must be in courses numbered above 50. Advised: As much additional work in dramatic art as time permits.
SPEECH 11, 12. Fundamentals of Speech, 3 hours.
SPEECH 41. Theory and Practice of Discussion, 3 hours.
SPEECH 42. Argumentation and Persuasion, 3 hours.
SPEECH 43, 44. Principles and Practice of Debate, 2hours.
SPEECH 51. Business and Professional Speech, 3 hours.
SPEECH 53. Introduction to Radio and Television, 3 hours.
SPEECH 85, 86. Senior Honors Course, 3 hours.
A. The presidential race was in full gear during the fall, brought to new heights by the first-ever televised presidential debates, between Nixon and Kennedy. Kennedy proves victorious in November.
B. Reverend King is jailed in
C. Castro declares
D. Gains and advances were made weekly by
both sides in the 'space race' between
A. 30 students were members of the Whitman debate team.
B. The intramural and intercollegiate topic for the year was "Resolved: That the government should adopt a program of compulsory health insurance for all citizens."
C. Intramural debate was held in the spring this year, and suffered a lack of participants. The winners were Walter ‘Skeeter’ Minnick and Bill Deschler of Phi Delta Theta and Linda Bowen and Patty Patterson of Kappa Alpha Theta.
D. Intercollegiate debate
1. At the
2. James Carter and Steve Pollock placed 1st in debate with an undefeated record. David Sandow and Jill Burton and Lawrence Davidson and Russel Dondero tied for 2nd. The tournament had 250 competitors from 26 schools.
3. The Western States Speech Tournament resulted in a 1st for Robert Snelling in extemporaneous speaking and a 3rd in impromptu speaking. Ted Meckstroth reached the semi-finals in impromptu, and Meckstroth and Snelling advanced to the semi-finals in debate.
4. At the
5. Whitman had a record of 4-4, to place second in the Triangular Tournament.
6. Season totals for the team were seven 1sts, eight 2nds, and five 3rds.