Shepherd, Director of
The debate manager was Reginald Green.
Faber Bennett deChaine, need more information
A. The college added 9 new professors to the faculty.
1. In the division of arts and letters, Faber B. De Chaine, instructor of speech and dramatic arts, and John P. Britz, instructor in English and French, were added.
2. New to the division of social sciences were Richard R. Bennet, instructor of economics and business administration; Dr. Charles W. Cassinelli, instructor in political science; Dr. Norbert J. Grossman, instructor in history; Arthur C. Burnam, instructor in education; and Miss Edith Darby, visiting professor of education.
3. Dr. Charles C. Bidwell joined the basic science department to teach physics and mathematics as a visiting professor.
4. John R. Ringgold was added to the conservatory of music staff as an assistant professor of music.
B. Don Jacobson was the Student Body President
C. Chester C. Maxey was the college president.
A. A $219,065 construction contract is given to start construction on a new girl’s dormitory. Built in the Georgian style of Lyman and Prentiss Halls, this new hall was to house 150 girls in 3 stories. It was to be built on the intramural fields behind Prentiss Hall, and would be ready to house girls the following Fall. The Hall would later be named Anderson Hall.
B. Whitman College ties with Pacific University for the Northwest Conference basketball championship after beating Linfield.
C. The Pioneer ran ads for Chesterfield cigarettes, and public service announcements for the Traffic Safety Service.
Speech Major and Courses
THE MAJOR: Thirteen hours selected from courses in speech; Dramatic Art 55, 56; twelve hours selected from English 25, 26, 35, 36, 39, 40, 79, 80; two hours selected from Classics 65 and 68; three hours selected from History 27, 28, 57, 58, 61, 62, 64. Of the total of thirty-six hours, eighteen must be in courses numbered above 50. Advised: As much additional work in dramatic art as time permits.
SPEECH 11, 12. Fundamentals of Speech, 3 hours.
SPEECH 41. Theory and Practice of Discussion, 3 hours.
SPEECH 42. Argumentation and Debate, 3 hours.
SPEECH 53. Introduction to Radio and Television, 3 hours.
SPEECH 56. Persuasive Speaking, 3 hours.
SPEECH 71, 72. Radio Production and Direction, 3 hours.
SPEECH 78. Oral Interpretation, 3 hours.
SPEECH 81. Introduction to Speech Correction, 3 hours.
SPEECH 82. Problems in Speech Correction, 2 or 3 hours
SPEECH 85, 86. Senior Honors Course, 3 hours.
A. A tentative truce is finally reached in the Korean War.
B. Russia produces its first hydrogen bomb.
C. The 4-minute mile barrier is broken in track and field.
D. Brown v. Board of Education was decided in 1954.
E. Eisenhower criticizes McCarthy for saying communists are in Rep party.
F. General Electric announces all Communist employees will be fired.
G. Earl Warren sworn in as 14th chief justice of U.S.
H. Elvis Presley pays $4 to a Memphis studio and records his 1st two songs, "Casual Love" and "I'll Never Stand in Your Way"
I. New York Yankee Joe DiMaggio marries actress Marilyn Monroe.
J. Ground breaking begins on Disneyland.
K. U.S. performs atmospheric nuclear test at Bikini Island.
L. Supreme Court unanimously rules on Brown vs. Topeka Board of Education reversed 1896 "separate but equal" Plessy Vs Ferguson decision (beginning the end of segregation).
The topic of debate for both intramural and intercollegiate competition was
"Resolved: That the
B. B. In intramural debate Tau Kappa Epsilon's Fumio Go and Calvin Bedient won the men's competition, and Tri Delts Sharon McGee and Joan Ferguson won the women's competition. Reginald Green was the IM debate manager.
C. Coach Shepard was a speaker at the annual Western Speech Convention, and lectured on stage fright.
D. Intercollegiate debate.
Six teams attended the Northwest Regional Tournament in
2. Eighteen people attended Linfield's Tournament of Champions, and cumulatively had a record of 21 wins and 15 losses. There was one 4th place in IEs, but no finalists in debate.
At the Northwest Tau Kappa Alpha regional tournament in
Whitman hosts the Triangular tournament against WSU and the
5. The Whitman debate team totaled 22 varsity debaters.