Adding a Network Printer in Windows XP
- Walk to the printer to which you would like to print. Note the manufacturer and model number of the printer (i.e. HP 4300dtn). Also note the IP address assigned to the printer. This is a set of four numbers (i.e. 10.5.1.12) which is usually printed in a visible location on the printer. If you cannot locate the IP address, you can obtain it by calling the Helpdesk (x4976).
- If your computer is using a wireless connection, open a web browser and log onto the wireless network. If you have plugged in an ethernet cord to connect to the network, make sure your computer has been registered. You can usually confirm this by opening a web page (if you see the page you requested, then you're good to go).
- Click on "Start" then "Printers and Faxes" (or "Start" then "Settings" then "Printers and Faxes").
- Click on "Add a Printer" on the left side of the window.
- Click "Next"
- Select "Local printer attached to this computer" and make sure "Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer" is NOT checked, then click "Next"
- Select "Create a new port" and choose "Standard TCP/IP Port" from the menu, then click "Next" (see Figure 1).
- When the new window opens, click "Next"
- Enter the IP address of the printer (which you obtained earlier) and click "Next" (you may leave the Port Name as the default value) - (see Figure 2).
- Click on "Finish"
- Find the correct manufacturer from the list in the left column and then select it. Look for the correct model number in the list in the right column. If you find it, select it, press next, and continue to step twelve (12). If you cannot find it, press "Have disk..." (see Figure 3) and skip to step thirteen (13).
- Select "Keep the existing driver and press "Next," then skip to step 22.
- Click "Browse"
- In the "File name:" text box, type "\\winfiles\misc" and press Enter (see Figure 4).
- When prompted for a username and password, enter "WHITMAN\username" as your username (where you replace "username" with your username). Enter your
network password, then click "OK" (See Figure 5).
- You should now see a list of folders on the winapp server (it may take a moment to load). Open the "Printer Drivers" folder and look for the appropriate printer model (see Figure 6). When you find the right folder, open it. If you cannot find the folder, you will probably have to download the drivers from the manufacturer's website.
- Open the folder for Windows XP.
- Open the folder for "PCL6" if it exists. Otherwise, pick the next best using the following preference: PCL5, PCL, PS.
- You should see a single file in this folder (like "hp4300p6.inf"). Select it and click "Open" (see Figure 7).
- The path to that file should now appear in a text box. Click "OK" (see Figure 12).
- Select the appropriate printer model from the list (you may see only one option) and press "Next" (see Figure 8).
- Give the printer a recognizable name (i.e. "Olin_Laser" or "Library_2nd"). You may uses spaces instead of underscores ( _ ) if you wish. Press "Next" (see Figure 9).
- Select "No" when asked if you want to set the printer as the default printer, then press "Next"
- Click "Finish"
Note: Although printer setup is complete, you must always be connected to the network to print. This means that you must log into the wireless or plug in an ethernet cord when you are ready to print.