Adding a Network Printer in OS X
This document describes how to install a network printer in OS X. These instructions are for use with OS X 10.4 (Tiger), but may also apply to OS X 10.5 (Leopard).
- Open your OS X System Preferences.
- Click on the Print & Fax item.
- Click on the "plus" button [+] at the bottom of the left column to add a printer.
- In the new "Printer Browser" window that open:
- Click the IP Printer button at the top.
- In the Protocol drop-down menu, choose HP Jet Direct - Socket.
- In the Address text box, type the IP address of the printer you're installing. For lab printers, the IP address is attached to the side of each printer. Please contact the Helpdesk if you are unable to obtain the printer's IP address.
- If you are connected to the network, OS X will automatically determine the printer's model.
- Fill in the Location field with the name of the printer (such as "Olin_Lab_Laser"). This field is optional, but will help you choose the correct printer from your printer list.
- Click the Add button.
- An "Installable Options" dialog should appear
- If the printer has a duplexer installed, fill in the Duplex Unit checkbox.
- Click Continue.
You can now print to this printer by selecting it from your printer list.