Troubleshooting your Wireless Connection
No Wireless Connection
If your computer does not recognize any wireless connection, go to Start, then Control Panel, then View Network status and tasks. One of the connections displayed should be a Wireless network connection. If you do not see this, please set up a wireless connection by following our Wireless Set-Up Guide.
Computer Recognizes Wireless but Cannot Connect to the Network
Try the options below if your computer displays service bars but is still unable to connect to the internet, or if your computer shows an inactive connection (aka recognizes a wireless card, but cannot connect to the network itself).
- Reboot. Before you do anything else, it is always a good idea to reboot. This will often trigger the connection to fix itself.
- Disable/Enable your connection. Go to Start > Control Panel > View Network status and connections. Click on Connect or disconnect (above where your networks are listed). In the window that opens up, click on your wireless connection and click disconnect. Then click on the wireless connection again and click connect. It may take a few moments for your computer to establish a connection.
- Diagnose your Wireless Connection. Go to Start > Control Panel > View Network status and connections. Click on Wireless Network Connection (on the right-hand side of the listed networks). Click Diagnose in the window that pops up.
- Log on to the Network. Sometimes the connection issue is not with the wireless, but the Whitman network. To ensure that this is not the issue, open your browser. If this is the problem, the network logon page ( vernier.whitman.edu) should appear. Enter your credentials as prompted. You may also try clearing your browser history ( Tools > Clear recent history in Firefox).
- If you have a Dell...Some Dells come with something called Dell Control Point. To access this to manage your connections, search all programs for Dell Control Point. In the program, select Connections. Choose to connect with a Wireless connection, and then choose whitman_wireless as the network.