Accessing WhitMail with Thunderbird
Mozilla Thunderbird is a free email client program that can be used with both Mac and Windows operating systems. To set up Thunderbird on your computer you will first need to download the program from Mozilla's website.
Note: Before setting up Thunderbird you must do the following two things.
- Change your Password: If you have not changed your Whitman password since your conversion to WhitMail, go to the online password changer and change your password. You may "change" it to the same password it was before by simply re-entering your old password, but you must go through this process for email clients to function properly.
- Enable POP/IMAP: Log into WhitMail, go to Settings in the upper right hand corner, select Forwarding and POP/IMAP and make sure to Enable IMAP. Make sure you select Save Changes before you exit out of your settings.
- If this is your first time using Thunderbird you will be prompted to set up an account. If you have already used Thunderbird, create a new account by going to Tools, then Account Settings, then Account Actions in the bottom left and choosing Add Mail Account.
- Enter your Name, your full Whitman email address (firstname.lastname@example.org), and your Whitman password. Then hit Continue.
- When the next screen appears, select Stop and enter the following information:
- Incoming Server: imap.gmail.com, IMAP, 993, SSL/TLS
- Outgoing Server: smtp.gmail.com, SMTP, 465, SSL/TLS
- Once you have done so, select Re-Test Configuration and then Create Account.
- Yor account is now configured to recieve mail, but may not be able to sent it.
- On a Mac: Go to Tools then Account Settings and then Outgoing Server (SMTP). Make sure that you disable Secure Authentication and confirm that your username is your full Whitman email address (email@example.com).
- On a Windows Machine: Go to Tools then Account Settings and then Outgoing Server (SMTP). Make sure that Authentication Method is set to normal password and confirm that your username is your full Whitman email address (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Your WhitMail account should now be configured to send and recieve mail. Should you need further assistance with set-up, consult Gmail's IMAP guide.