Software Available & Supported by WCTS
Faculty computers are delivered with the following software pre-installed and fully supported by Technology Services:
- Microsoft Office (current version is Office 2010 for PC or 2011 for Macintosh OSX), Includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint.
- McAfee VirusScan (virus/malware protection software)
- Mozilla Thunderbird for PC's, or for Macintosh, OSX Mail or Thunderbird (IMAP email programs)
- Mozilla Firefox (web browser for Mac or PC), Google Chrome (web browser for Mac or PC) and Macintosh Safari, along with standard support applications such as QuickTime, RealPlayer, Shockwave and Flash players, Acrobat Reader.
- Macs only - Apple iWork and iLife suites (Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Garage Band, iMovie, iPhoto...)
The following specialized software is also used on campus, and may be purchased with departmental funds at excellent academic prices. Please contact Technology Services for current pricing. Technology Services supports this software, but may not be able to assist you fully with advanced features:
Adobe Photoshop Extended (full version) or Photoshop Elements (basic version)*
- PDF Creation/Editing:
Adobe Acrobat Professional*
- Web Authoring:
(note that most faculty use Whitman's learning management system, CLEo, for making instructional materials available online to students - requires no web authoring expertise. Many official/departmental web pages are authored/maintained using a content-mgt system for which you also do not need web expertise)
*if you use multiple Adobe applications, we recommend you ask about one of the Adobe "Creative Suites" which bundles multiple applications at a lower price.
- Statistical/Analytical (we have limited site licenses for these applications; some licenses may be available):
SPSS for Windows or Mac (unlimited site license)
nVivo (qualitative analysis software, limited licenses)
- Other (some of these also have available licenses under limited site licensing):
ArcGIS (unlimited site license)
ChemBio Draw Ultra (unlimited site license)
EndNote (unlimited site license)
If you have questions about this software, or about the availability of other software not listed, let us know. If you have specialized needs, be sure to indicate this when you contact us to arrange for your computer, as explained on the New Faculty Computers page. You can contact the Instructional & Learning Technologist for your Division.