Why Join College Coaches?
College Coaches provides several opportunities unique both in the Student Engagement Center and the college as a whole. Here are just a few examples of the way in which the program can enhance your educational and personal experience while at Whitman:
- Since our Education program has been formally disbanded, Coaches get actual classroom experience and one on one student experience for those interested pursuing a career in the school system.
- This is especially important for those interested in students at the high school level. It is Whitman's only WA-HI program, whereas there are multiple opportunities to get involved with grade schoolers (i.e. The Mentor Program and the Story Time Project).
- You, as someone who is currently attending college and who has recently been through the application process, are both an excellent example and a supportive figure for someone who may not have any concept of how to make their dreams a reality.
- Coaches develop valuable friendships with their students, many of whom are seeking a role model figure. A former Coach, I can say that I still keep in touch with one of my students who is now a graduate of the high school.
- Seeing Whitman students in the high school is so exciting, both for WA-HI's students and their faculty and staff. Showing Whitman cares is invaluable in a high school where many students struggle with how to be successful in higher education.
- You have the chance to be a part of a program that is growing and in need of strong leadership from YOU as volunteers.
Twelve hours a semester can completely change the way a student sees higher education and their place in it. Join us!