Major and Combined Major Requirements
For a full list of current courses and requirements: See Biology in the Whitman College Catalog.
If you are a freshman, we suggest the following sequence of courses.
- Freshman Year, First Semester: Chemistry 125/135, Math 125, Core, Elective.
- Freshman Year, Second Semester: Chemistry 126/136, Math 126, Biology 111, Core,.
- Sophomore Year, First Semester: Chemistry 245, Biology 112, Physics 155 (we recommend for students wanting to attend professional school or molecular areas of biology), Elective.
- Sophomore Year, Second Semester: Chemistry 246/250 (if you are interested in medical/dental/veternary school or the molecular areas of biology), Physics 156, Biology 205, Elective.
- Junior Year, First Semester: Biology 206, Biology 310, Electives.
- Junior Year, Second Semester: Biology 309, Biology 488, Biology elective, Elective.
- Senior Year, First Semester: Biology 489, Biology electives, Elective.
- Senior Year, Second Semester: Biology 490, Biology electives, Elective.
If you start the major after the freshman year, contact a member of the Department for advice.
Departmental policy does not allow a P-D-F grade option for biology courses within the major. We strongly advise students to consult their advisor before taking any supporting courses with the P-D-F option.
Combined MajorsThe Biology-Geology combined major: Biology 111, 112, 205, 215 or 277, 310, 488, and at least four additional credits in biology and/or biochemistry and molecular biology numbered above 200; Geology 110, 320, 345, 346, 350, 360, 470, and a minimum of one credit in 258; either three credits of Geology 480, 490, or 498 or three credits of Biology 489 and 490 (or 498); Chemistry 125, 126, 135, 136; or 140, 245; Mathematics 125, 126. Two semesters of physics and field experience are strongly recommended.
The Biochemistry, Biophysics and Molecular Biology combined major (BBMB): Biology 111, 205; Chemistry 125, 126, 135, 136 (or 145,146); Chemistry 245, 246, 250, 345; Physics 155 and 156; BBMB 324, 325, 326, 334, 335, 336, 400; a minimum of three credits of research BBMB 490 (or 498); Mathematics 125, 126, 225; and at least seven credits taken from biology, chemistry and/or physics courses numbered 200 and above and approved by the BBMB faculty.
The Biology-Environmental Studies combined major: The requirements are fully described in the Environmental Studies listing of the Catalog.