Resources for Genealogists
Several basic genealogical sources are available in the Penrose Library and the Whitman College and Northwest Archives.
Federal and Territorial Censuses – Penrose Library, Main (2nd) Floor, “Books on Microfilm” Cabinet
- Enumeration sheets provide information about the address, nationality, citizenship, profession, and literacy of every member of a given household.
- Penrose Library has the following census records on microfilm:
- 7th Federal Census, Oregon Territory, 1850
- 8th Federal Census, Washington Territory, 1860
- 9th Federal Census, Washington State, 1870
- 10th Federal Census, Washington State, 1880
- 12th Federal Census, Washington State, 1900
- 13th Federal Census, Washington State, 1910
- Washington Territory Census Rolls, 1871-1892
- Provisional and Territorial Census Records of Oregon, 1842-1859
- Penrose Library does not have a name index for the census or enumeration district maps.
Newspapers - Penrose Library, 1st Floor, Whitman College and Northwest Archives
- Local newspapers available in Penrose Library:
- Walla Walla Union Bulletin (and all preceding Walla Walla newspapers), Newspaper Cabinet #28, 29, 1861-ongoing
- Waitsburg Times, Newspaper Cabinet #27, 1881-ongoing
- Dayton Chronicle, Newspaper Cabinet #2, 1917-1957
- Whitman College Pioneer, Newspaper Cabinet #30, 1893-ongoing
- None of these newspapers is indexed. To locate articles, you must know an approximate date of publication.
Directories - Penrose Library, 1st Floor, and in the Whitman College and Northwest Archives
- Walla Walla County and City Directories are located in the Northwest Collection on the first floor (1911-1997) and in the archives reading room (1880-2000).
Yearbooks - Whitman College and Northwest Archives Reading Room
- Whitman College Academic Catalogues (1882- )
- Whitman College Yearbooks, Waiilatpu (1906-1997)
- Walla Walla High School Yearbooks (1915-2000)
Other resources - Whitman College and Northwest Archives
- Ogle’s Standard Atlas of Walla Walla County, 1909 (contains plat maps)
- Vertical clipping files on “Whitman College People” and “Northwest People,” dates unknown
If you would like assistance with your research, please contact the Walla Walla Valley Genealogical Society.