This year marks the 38th year of the Whitman College Scramble Program. This year we have 20 trips planned with 63 student leaders and roughly 192 spaces for incoming first year students to go out into the field. Scrambles will travel as far as the San Juan Islands WA to sea kayak and the Salmon River ID to kayak and raft. Backpacking trips will be divided up amongst the Strawberry Mountains OR, Elkhorn Mountains OR, Wallowa Mountains OR, Olympic Peninsula WA, Mt. St. Helens, and North Cascades WA while canoers will cross Ross Lake WA and rock climbers will climb at Smith Rock OR. The average trip length will be 8-9 days.
Forms to mail back (available for download):
Frequently Asked Questions
When can I register for 2015 Scrambles?
Send your application and full payment before June 15th. On June 15th we will process applications by random lottery and we will try to assign trips based on state preferences. We will continue to accept and process applications after June 15th on a first-come, first-served basis until all trips are full.
When will I find out which Scramble I've been placed on?
We will mail out trip acceptances within two weeks of the June lottery. Participants will be notified by mail. We keep a wait list for trips that fill up if there is more interest than spots available.
When do I need to be in Walla Walla for Scrambles?
Early Scramblers' trips begin on August 13th. Regularly timed Scramblers begin on August 18th, 19th, or 20th, depending on the trip. All Scramblers need to be on campus by 1pm of the stated start date for Scrambles.
What is the cancellation policy for Scrambles?
Participants canceling before July 15th receive a full refund minus a $65 cancellation fee. After July 9th until two weeks before Scrambles, participants receive a 50 percent refund. The cancellation policy is outlined more fully in the 2015 Scrambles booklet, available for download above.
Many other questions can be answered by looking through the 2015 Scrambles booklet, available for download in the "Registration Information" section above or clicking on the booklet to the right.
Contact the Scrambles Coordinator, Chloe Alley-Sarnack with other questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Outdoor Program is offering 20 Scrambles trips in 2015.
Early Scrambles: #1 - #2, (August 13 through August 18)
Regular Scrambles: #3 - #20 (August 18, 19 or 20 through August 26)
- Strawberry Jubilee - Backpacking in the Strawberry Mountains, OR (August 13-18)
- Rosstafarian Adventure - Canoeing/Backpacking (August 18-26)
- A Rossin' and a Rollin' - Canoeing and backpacking on Ross Lake, WA (August 18 - 26)
- San Juan Wanderers - Sea kayaking in the San Juan Islands, WA (August 18 - 26)
- Outrageous Orcas Orbiters - Sea kayaking in the San Juan Islands, WA (August 18 - 26)
- Jonesin' for Jellies - Sea kayaking in the San Juan Islands, WA (August 18 - 26)
- Seaside Swag - Coastal backpacking in Olympic National Park, WA (August 18 - 26)
- Tidal Trekking - Coastal backpacking in Olympic National Park, WA (August 18 - 26)
- Glacial Glow - Backpacking in the Glacier Peak Wilderness, WA (August 18 - 26)
- Pyroclastic Pathfinders - Backpacking (August 19 - 26)
- Sacajawea Scavengers - Backpacking in the Wallowa National Forest, OR (August 19 - 26)
- Face the Hurricane - Backpacking in the Wallowa National Forest, OR (August 19 - 26)
- Smith Family Robinson - Rock climbing in Smith Rock State Park, OR (August 19 - 26)
- School of Hard Rocks - Rock climbing in Smith Rock State Park, OR (August 19 - 26)
- Bodaciously Bouncing Boating - Whitewater rafting along the Salmon River, ID (August 19 - 26)
- Slammin' Salmon - Whitewater kayaking along the Salmon River, ID (August 19 - 26)
- Elkhorn Extravaganza - Backpacking in the Elkhorn Mountains, OR (August 20 - 26)
- Epic Elkhorn Escape - Backpacking in the Elkhorn Mountains, OR (August 20 - 26)
- Strawberry Sweetness - Backpacking in the Strawberry Mountains, OR (August 20 - 26)
- Stawberry Fields - Backpacking (August 20 - 26)