Princeton in Asia
National deadline: November 14, 2014, postmark date for mailed materials, 5 p.m. EST for submission of online
- Bachelor's degree
- TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) experience which can be fulfilled through 20 hours of class or volunteer tutoring
- International students eligible
- Native English speaking ability
- Asian language ability not necessary for most teaching positions; non-teaching positions typically require some language skill or specific academic or work experience
- Must attend orientation at Princeton in May
- Valid passport
Award summary and conditions: Mission Statement: “To promote good will and understanding and to facilitate in every way the free interchange of the best ideals in the civilizations of both East and West.” PiA is dedicated to offering these experiences to as diverse and talented an applicant pool as possible. Princeton in Asia will work with each applicant to ensure that financial considerations do not preclude anyone from applying or participating in these service opportunities. Salary and housing are provided. In addition, group medical insurance is provided. Language and cultural grants are awarded on a merit basis. Assistance in student loan deferments in the form of letters issued to student loan agencies.
- Application fee: $55
- Transportation and housing expenses for trips to interviews in January or February and to Princeton, NJ in mid-May for orientation. (Housing, however, will be arranged for you during orientation.)
- $500 contribution paid upon acceptance of a PiA posting. This contribution represents only a fraction of the total costs of arranging a fellowship. Payment is mandatory for all accepted fellows.
- Vaccination and pre-departure health expenses.
- Visa application fees.
- Round-trip transportation to Asia for most positions.
- TEFL certification course where applicable- the course offered at Princeton costs $150 and will be held April 17-19, 2015
Application process: Both hardcopy and electronic.
To access a hard copy go to: http://piaweb.princeton.edu/sites/default/files/wysiwyg/docs/pia_application_2015-2016_final.pdf
To access the online application form go to: https://fs20.formsite.com/princetoninasia/form3/form_login.html
- Application Fee: $55.00--credit card or checks payable to Princeton in Asia.
- A completed PiA application form.
- Three completed essays
- One short video (See application for details.)
- Two copies of your resume (one page in length) including your current and permanent addresses and phone numbers. Tailor your resume for PiA purposes, highlighting previous teaching, travel, Asian language proficiency, and cross-cultural experience. Applicants for workplace and technical-teaching (Singapore) positions should detail their coursework and work experience as appropriate.
- All official college transcripts (as recent as possible).
- One letter of reference, including the phone number and email address of the writer, plus contact information for a second reference. We prefer at least one employer reference, if possible.
- Contact information for a second reference (phone number & email). We prefer at least one employer reference, if possible.
- One photocopy of your currently valid passport information page (which includes passport number, period of validity, etc.). If your passport is due to expire within 18 months, begin the renewal process now. All applicants must have a valid passport by interviews in January.
- Four passport photos with your name printed on the back of each and put in an envelope. Digital photo printouts or photocopies are not acceptable.
Faculty Representative: Keith Raether
National committee interview: Yes
Selection and announcement dates: To be updated in the fall of 2014
Contact information: http://piaweb.princeton.edu/contact-us