Princeton in Asia
National deadline: November 14, 2014, postmark date for mailed materials, 5 p.m. EST for submission of online
- Bachelor's degree
- TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) experience which can be fulfilled through 20 hours of class or volunteer tutoring
- International students eligible
- Native English speaking ability
- Asian language ability not necessary for most teaching positions; non-teaching positions typically require some language skill or specific academic or work experience
- Must attend orientation at Princeton in May
- Valid passport
Award summary and conditions: Mission Statement: “To promote good will and understanding and to facilitate in every way the free interchange of the best ideals in the civilizations of both East and West.” PiA is dedicated to offering these experiences to as diverse and talented an applicant pool as possible. Princeton in Asia will work with each applicant to ensure that financial considerations do not preclude anyone from applying or participating in these service opportunities. Salary and housing are provided. In addition, group medical insurance is provided. Language and cultural grants are awarded on a merit basis. Assistance in student loan deferments in the form of letters issued to student loan agencies.
- Application fee: $55
- Transportation and housing expenses for trips to interviews in January or February and to Princeton, NJ in mid-May for orientation. (Housing, however, will be arranged for you during orientation.)
- $500 contribution paid upon acceptance of a PiA posting. This contribution represents only a fraction of the total costs of arranging a fellowship. Payment is mandatory for all accepted fellows.
- Vaccination and pre-departure health expenses.
- Visa application fees.
- Round-trip transportation to Asia for most positions.
- TEFL certification course where applicable- the course offered at Princeton costs $150 and will be held April 17-19, 2015
Application process: Both online and hard copy.
- Online application form (https://fs20.formsite.com/princetoninasia/form3/form_login.html)
- Three essays
- The "Put Yourself Out There" reflection
- Scan of passport information page, and scan of passport photo
One short video (see page 7 of the hard copy application for specific information) sent separately via this website: http://www.princetoninasia.org/appvid.htm
Hard copy materials to be postmarked no later than November 14, 2014:
- Application fee of $55.00 (check or credit card via website donation page)
- Completed hard copy PiA application form (http://piaweb.princeton.edu/sites/default/files/wysiwyg/docs/_pia_application_2015-2016_final_.pdf)
- Three completed essays (350-500 words each)
- One "Put Yourself Out there" reflection (100-200 words)
- Two copies of resume (one page only)
- All official college transcripts (study abroad transcripts not required)
- One letter of reference (a signed, original letter, including the phone number and email address of the writer)
- One photocopy of your current valid passport information page
- Four passport-sized, headshot photos with your name printed on the back of each and put inside an envelope (digital printouts will not be accepted)
Faculty Representative: Keith Raether
National committee interview: Yes
Contact information: http://piaweb.princeton.edu/contact-us