Critical Language Enhancement Award
First internal deadline: September 19, 2014
Final internal deadline for submission of electronic application: October 10, 2014
National deadline for submission of electronic application: October 14, 2014
- Be selected for a Fulbright Full Grant (or ETA, in some cases) by the eligible country to which they applied.
- Meet the minimum CLEA language requirement by the start of the Fulbright grant in the proposed country.
- Demonstrate an interest in continuing their language training in future professional activities.
Note: Ineligible if applicant has received a Critical Language Scholarship sponsored by the U.S. Department of State in the same program year.
Award summary and conditions: The Critical Language Enhancement Award (CLEA) is a feature of the U.S. Student Fulbright Program, which provides an opportunity for some Fulbright U.S. Student grantees to receive three to six months of intensive language study as an enhancement to their Fulbright grants. It is offered to students once they have been awarded a Fulbright U.S. Student grant which requires that they use one of the eligible languages for their Fulbright project and beyond.
The purpose of the Critical Language Enhancement Award is to cultivate higher levels of language proficiency prior to and during the Fulbright grant period and beyond. Ultimately, Critical Language Enhancement grantees will achieve a high level of proficiency in a targeted language and will go on to careers or further study which will incorporate the use of the language studied and/or related languages.
The Critical Language Enhancement Award helps promote the Fulbright Program's goals of cross-cultural exchange and dialogue. Fulbright grantees capable of communicating in the local language in their host countries are likely to form stronger bonds with their peers, conduct more meaningful research, and develop a greater understanding of a foreign culture. The experience grantees bring home after their Critical Language Enhancement Award and Fulbright grant will serve them in their chosen careers and throughout their lives.
Eligible languages: Arabic (all dialects), Bahasa Indonesia, Bangla/Bengali, Chinese (Mandarin only), Gujarati, Hindi, Marathi, Punjabi, Russian, and Urdu.
Eligible Countries: China, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Morocco, Russia
Minimum Language Requirement: To be considered for the Critical Language Enhancement Award, grantees must demonstrate a certain level of proficiency before the award's start date, as determined by the minimum language requirement for eligibility for U.S. Student Fulbright Program.
Application process: electronic
Application materials: Application for a Critical Language Enhancement Award is made in conjunction with the Fulbright U.S. Student application and reference to the language award application should be included in the Statement of Grant Purpose. The application is within the Fulbright U.S. Student application. The following forms must be completed in the Fulbright U.S. Student application to apply also for the Critical Language Enhancement Award:
- Form 7: Language Self Evaluation. If the applicant will be completing the pre-requisite language study after submission of the Fulbright application the proposed study must be detailed in Form 7.
- Form 7A: Critical Language Enhancement Award Supplementary Statement.
- Form 8: Foreign Language Report. The foreign language evaluator should comment on the desirability and need for additional language training in their report.
- (Optional) Applicants may wish to address how their Fulbright project would be enhanced by additional language study under the CLEA in the Statement of Grant Purpose.
Applications should include:
- Connection to Research: In the Statement of Grant Purpose applicants must show a clear connection between additional language study and their Fulbright project. Any applicant whose project can be completed, without loss in quality, without language training, will not be considered a high priority.
- Commitment to the Language: Applicants should demonstrate and detail their commitment to developing their language skills through current study, during their Fulbright grant tenure, and in their future career and/or educational plans in their supplemental Critical Language Enhancement Award statement.
In addition, a complete Fulbright U.S. Student Program application will consist of the following items:
- Basic data
- Statement of Grant Purpose
- Letter(s) of Affiliation for Research/Study Applicants (may be required-consult the country summary)
- Personal Statement
- Forms 7, 7A, and 8 as listed above
- Three letters of recommendation
- FORM 9A: References for Research/Study Grants
- FORM 9B: ETA Reference Forms
- From 11: Creative and Performing Arts Supplementary Form and Materials (if required)
Faculty representative: Keith Raether
Internal committee: Yes, same as Fulbright U.S. Student Program
Internal interview: Yes, same as Fulbright U.S. Student Program interview
Internal nomination required: No
National committee interview: No
Selection process: Language award recipients are selected by local Fulbright Commissions/Foundations or U.S. Embassies in the host countries and the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). Award recipients should propose their own language training programs and duration of study; however, final approval is the responsibility of the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in the host country. Changes to program assignment, schedule, or length may occur.
The CLEA is a competitive grant program and applicants selected to receive a Fulbright grant will not automatically receive a CLEA. Please note that Fulbright applicants must demonstrate that they will be able to carry out the Fulbright project without receipt of the additional language study.
- The Critical Language Enhancement Award includes funding for:
- Monthly maintenance stipend
- Tuition fees for approved language programs or tutors
- $100 book allowance
- Travel costs which are provided through the Fulbright Full or ETA grant
- Health and accident coverage is the same as for the Fulbright grant
The Critical Language Enhancement Award does not provide funding or reimbursement for school application or placement test fees, bank transfer/wire fees, or local transportation.
Announcement date: Same as Fulbright U.S. Student Program, March to June.