El Pomar Fellowship
National deadline: January 20, 2014
- Applicants must be graduates of a four-year university or college.
- Applicants should have a Colorado connection (resident, student/graduate from a Colorado college or university, immediate family) and/or an explicit interest in serving the communities of Colorado.
- Applicants should demonstrate strong leadership capability and potential, the ability to work as a member of a team, and an interest in public service or civic engagement.
- Applicants must exhibit the highest standards of professionalism and behavior.
- Applicants must possess strong verbal and writing skills.
- Applicants must demonstrate personal initiative and determination.
- Applicants must have the ability to travel throughout the state of Colorado on official Foundation business.
Award summary and conditions: The El Pomar Fellowship is a highly competitive, two-year post-undergraduate leadership training program that develops today’s young professionals into tomorrow’s leaders. Fellows have the opportunity to pursue personal and professional growth through program and project management, community development, and grantmaking. The Fellowship emphasizes leadership and professional development; it is designed to bring together highly qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds and interests, and shape them into effective leaders for the public, private and nonprofit sectors. Fellows operate the foundation’s programs, conduct outreach initiatives and bolster the Foundation’s grantmaking throughout the state, investing in the people and organizations of Colorado’s urban and rural communities.
The Fellowship generally lasts two years from the date of entry into the program. An annual class of Fellows will typically begin in mid-July. Specific entry and completion dates are based on Foundation requirements and individual considerations. Starting annual salary is $30,000. However, post-undergraduate work experience and/or education is considered to determine salary level.
- The First Year: The core work experience of the Fellows is to staff and manage the Foundation's programs, from Awards for Excellence to the Regional Partnerships. The first year of the Fellowship is dedicated to skill-building, nonprofit sector education and exploring the theoretical framework of leadership. More importantly, first year Fellows experience rapid personal and professional growth in the supportive environment of the Foundation.
- The Second Year: In their second year, Fellows continue to put their skills and self-understanding into practice, enhancing their experience through increased responsibility in training and development. Second year Fellows become coordinators of the Foundation's regional activities and directors of the various programs. A number of second year Fellows have the opportunity to explore community development by traveling to and working directly with community leaders in their respective regions.
Application process: Submit the online application which includes:
- Personal Statement (not to exceed two pages): Please describe your interest in the Fellowship and in serving the communities of Colorado. In addition, please cite a specific example from your resume highlighting a lesson you learned about leadership.
- College transcript(s)
- No more than two El Pomar Fellowship recommendation forms (can be found on application website)
- Go to http://www.elpomar.org/fellowship
- Click on application link
- Click link to begin application process
- Create candidate account and follow instructions to complete application process
Faculty representative: Keith Raether
Internal interview: No
Internal nomination: No
January 20, 2014 - Application Deadline (all materials must be submitted online)
Late-January - Initial - Round Notification
Early February - Phone Interviews (if selected)
Mid-February - Second - Round Notification
Early March - In-Person Interviews (if selected)
Early March - Final Round: In-Person Interviews (if selected)
Mid-March - E-mail notification of status
Contact information: email@example.com