Davis Projects for Peace
Internal deadline: January 26, 2015
National deadline: February 13, 2015
- All undergraduates (including seniors who would complete their projects in the summer after graduation)
- Individuals or groups
Award summary and conditions: Davis Projects for Peace is an initiative for students at Davis UWC partner schools, including Whitman, to design grassroots projects for the summer of 2015 -- anywhere in the world -- which promote peace and address the root causes of conflict among parties. The program encourages applicants to use their creativity to design projects and employ innovative techniques for engaging project participants in ways that focus on conflict resolution, reconciliation, building understanding and breaking down barriers which cause conflict, and finding solutions for resolving conflict and maintaining peace. Projects will be selected for funding at $10,000 each.
Hard copy application process: Hard-copy submission to the Office of Fellowships and Grants by the internal deadline . Final applications of the nominee and alternate will be forwarded electronically to the Davis Scholars Office.
- written statement (not to exceed two pages, single-spaced) that describes the project (who, what, where, how), including expected outcomes and prospects for future impact.
- statements of approval from all parties and organizations involved in the project.
- budget (one page).
- transcript for each applicant.
- one letter of recommendation and contact information for a second recommender (required of each applicant in a group proposal).
Internal interview: Yes
Internal nomination required: Yes, Whitman may select one nominee and one alternate.
National committee interview: No
Faculty advisor: Keith Raether
Selection process: Applicants must submit all materials to the Office of Fellowships and Grants by the internal deadline. An internal (Whitman) committee will review all proposals and conduct interviews. One recipient and one alternate will be chosen by the committee. Final review and selection of all projects rests solely with the Davis UWC Scholars Program. Project funds will be sent by Davis to each school for distribution to grant recipients. Grants are made upon assurance that the project proposed will be undertaken during the summer of 2015.
Announcement date of final decisions by Davis UWC Scholars Program: March 16, 2015
Contact information: http://www.davisprojectsforpeace.org/