Davis Fellows for Peace (Middlebury)
National deadline: January 15, 2015 (2015/2016 TBA)
It is not recommended that you wait until January to submit both applications. In order to be considered for the fellowship, your Language School application must be on file and complete. If a piece of your Language School application is delayed for some reason (a transcript, for example), your fellowship application may not be reviewed. If you want to give yourself time to work on the fellowship essay, we recommend that you apply for admission in the fall and then submit your fellowship application later (but no later than January 15).
- The Davis Critical Languages Fellowship is merit-based and intended for exceptionally qualified individuals with a demonstrated interest in one or more of the following areas: international, global or area studies; international politics and economics; peace and security studies; and/or conflict resolution. Individuals in other fields, including working professionals, are encouraged to apply if their field of expertise requires them to study one of the critical languages.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to have at least one year of college before applying.
Award summary and conditions: 100 Davis Fellowships are offered to cover the full cost of summer language study from beginner to graduate levels. At the Middlebury campus students can study Chinese, Hebrew, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish, French, German and Russian. At the Mills College campus students can study Arabic, Italian or Spanish. Davis Fellowship funds are limited and will be awarded on a competitive basis. Financial aid forms are not required for the Davis awards. However, students are encouraged to apply for regular Middlebury College financial aid, awarded on a demonstrated-need basis, through the office of financial aid.
Application process: Two applications are required:
• One to Middlebury Language School of choice. Application materials: http://www.middlebury.edu/academics/ls/applications/
• One to Davis Fellowship. Application materials: http://www.middlebury.edu/ls/finaid/fellowships/kwd
You may enroll in courses in one Language School only, and typically only at one level of study. You are, however, welcome to apply to more than one school; in order to do so, you must submit a complete application packet for each school to which you are apply (including a separate application fee).
The $75 non-refundable application fee must accompany your application. You may either pay this fee online during the application process or make out a check, payable to "Middlebury College" and mail it to the Middlebury Language Schools.
Davis Fellowship application:
- A complete application for admission to an eligible Language School: online application, $75 non-refundable application, letter(s) of recommendation, and transcript(s).
- Online scholarship application
- Required essay (See essay question under "Application Instructions." Link: http://www.middlebury.edu/ls/finaid/fellowships/kwd)
- CV or resume
Notification: Once your application is complete (all supplemental materials are in) it will take 4-6 weeks for a decision to be made. Applicants will receive a letter in the mail with the application decision.
Faculty Representative: Keith Raether