DAAD Study Scholarship
Application deadline: November 1, 2014 (postmark) for study scholarships in all disciplines (outside the fields of music, visual arts and performing arts) to support a year of independent study or a full master's degree program at a German university for highly qualified graduating seniors or those who have received an undergraduate degree.
- Students in their last year of undergraduates studies at an accredited North American university
- Recent BA/BS or MA/MS graduates who completed their last degree no longer than 6 years ago by the application deadline date
- Graduates students enrolled full-time at an accredited North American university
- Students who are in the first year of Master's programs in Germany may apply to fund their second year
- Applicants in all academic fields are welcome to apply but we don't support to completion of a clinical science degree at a German university such as dentistry, medicine, pharmacy, or veterinary medicine.
- By the time of application deadline, applicants may not have been living in Germany for more than 15 months.
- Applicants should be US or Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Foreign nationals are eligible if they have been full-time students at an accredited US or Canadian University for at least two years at the time of application.
- Applicants in the humanities and social sciences should have a good command of German.
- Applicants may not hold a DAAD grant and a grant from another German or German-American organization/German-Canadian organization concurrently for the same project. Prior recipients of a DAAD grant should contact DAAD New York before applying to determine their eligibility status.
Award summary and conditions:
- Graduate study scholarships are granted for one academic year (10 months) with the possibility of a one-year extension for students completing a full degree program in Germany.
- Scholarships must take place during the German academic year (October 1, 2015 to July 31, 2016).
- Monthly stipends are approximately €750. DAAD will cover health insurance and provide a flat rate subsidy for travel costs (US East: €850 / West: €1,075; Canada East: €925 / West: €1,300). In addition, limited funds are available for a rent subsidy and family allowance.
Application process: electronic and hard copy. (https://www.daad.org/onlineapplications) The application form must be completed online and then printed in hard copy. Submit a total of FOUR copies (1 original, 3 photocopies) of all the application materials listed below. You may open your official transcript to make photocopies of it. Exception: You may submit just ONE of each of your original, sealed recommendation letters (i.e. no photocopies needed of recommendation letters).
- Signed application form
- CV/resume (Your name should appear on each page.)
- Study proposal (You may apply for funding for a Master's program OR a period of independent study.)
- Two letters of recommendation on university letterhead, from professors at North American institutions in your field of study. Please request that your professor include three photocopies with the original letter in a sealed envelope.
- Evidence of contact with German institution.
- DAAD language evaluation - form available online (Sprachzeugnis)
Mail your application to:
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
871 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017
Please keep a copy of the completed application for your records.
Notification: Recipients will be notified via email mid-April.
Faculty Representative: Keith Raether