If you have exceptional talent, experience, and demonstrated skills in theatre and intend to make a strong contribution to the theatre program during your four years at Whitman, the College invites you to apply for a President’s Scholarship in Theatre.
Students receiving the President’s Scholarships are expected to be active contributors to the department and by participating in at least two productions a year in the Harper Joy Theatre. As upperclassmen it is anticipated that scholarship recipients will take on leadership roles in the theatre and mentor newer students.
President’s Scholarships are awarded to entering students in recognition of exceptional talent. The scholarship meets all of the student’s demonstrated financial need when combined with scholarships or grants from any other sources and varies from $2,500 to $47,000 per year, according to need. President’s Scholarships for students without demonstrated financial need will range from $2,500 to $6,000 per year, depending on available monies. Precise scholarship amounts will be listed in the student’s Financial Aid Award letter. Financial need is determined annually by the Office of Financial Aid Services using data from both the FAFSA and the CSS Profile.
The Theatre Department will be interviewing candidates for the President’s Scholarship on campus, Saturday, March 8, 2014. In fairness to all applicants, no other interview dates will be allowed.
President’s Scholarship in Theatre Application Process
1. Apply for Admission to Whitman: In order to be eligible for the Presidential Scholarship you must apply for admission to the College by January 15, 2014.
2. Submit Financial Aid Forms: Both your FAFSA and CSS Profile must be submitted to the appropriate agencies by February 1, 2014, if you intend to apply for need-based financial aid.
3. Arrange for an Interview: You must schedule an interview for March 8, 2014 by calling the Theatre Department at (509) 527-5279 from 9:00-12:30 or 1:00-4:00, PST, Monday through Friday. The deadline for scheduling interviews is Friday, February 28, 2014. Interview appointments will be available starting January 28, 2014. You should plan to bring all required scholarship application materials with you to your interview.
4. Prepare Your Scholarship Audition/Presentation Materials : Everyone who applies must supply at the time of the interview (bring these with you):
1) A resume of theatrical experience.
2) Two letters of recommendation pertaining to your theatre experience.
3) High school and, where appropriate, college transcripts.
4) Prepare Audition/Presentation Materials:
Acting: Prepare two contrasting monologues, not longer than two minutes each. These should be from roles appropriate to your age and experience. Auditioners with a musical background may also present a short sung piece. Those with musical theatre skills may also prepare sixteen bars of a short upbeat song from a musical theatre score
Design: Present a portfolio and be prepared to discuss your work. The portfolio may include video or audio samples, pictures, renderings, and technical drawings.
Directing: Present examples of your work as a director. These might include such records as DVDs, prompt books, concept statements, diaries of pre-production and rehearsal procedures.
Playwriting: Submit two ten page playwrting samples and a resume of your theatrical experience. (send ahead of time)
Stage Management: Present a prompt script and organizational materials from productions you have been involved with. Be prepared to discuss your materials.
Technical Theatre: Present a resume of your technical skills and a portfolio of your theatre work. Be prepared to discuss them. The portfolio may include video or audio samples, pictures, renderings, and technical drawings.
5. If you are unable to come for an interview: If you are unable to come to campus you may submit the required audition materials to the Department of Theatre by mail, online by PDF, or web site. In addition to the required resume and letters of recommendation, acting candidates must submit an audition video online or by DVD. All other candidates will need to send all required written and visual materials. Audition materials submitted to the Office of Admission will not be considered for the President’s Scholarship in Theatre. You must postmark all your scholarship audition materials by February 20, 2014 to:
Whitman College Theatre Department The President’s Scholarship Harper Joy Theatre Whitman College 345 Boyer Avenue Walla Walla, WA 99362
We recommend you use a traceable mailing method, such as United Parcel Service, to prevent loss of your materials. Please provide a self-addressed stamped envelope if you wish to have your materials returned to you. You may also submit your materials electronically to email@example.com.
6. Notification of Award Status: First-year applicants will be notified of their award status in writing by April 1, 2014. Transfer applicants will be notified of their award status in writing by May 1, 2014.
We invite you to spend the day on campus the Friday before your interview. During this day you can meet with members of the admission staff, take a campus tour, and visit a class. We will be able to house a limited number of students overnight on campus; there are a number of hotels within walking distance of campus. It is your responsibility to schedule these portions of your visit online at visit.whitman.edu at least two weeks in advance. If you have questions after visiting our website, please contact the Office of Admission. You can reach us at (509) 527-5176, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or toll free at (877) 462-9448.
If you are interested in attending a performance at the Harper Joy Theatre while on campus, make reservations with the administrative assistant when you call for an audition appointment. You can find information concerning production dates, times and ticket prices at: http://www.whitman.edu/hjt/
If you have questions about the scholarship please contact Katherine Buckley, Admission Officer and Scholarship Coordinator, toll-free at (877) 462-9448 or email@example.com