Fascinated by evolution, cloning, environmental issues, or the brain? Passionate about the science of all living things? Looking for a major that can prepare you for graduate or professional work in some of today’s most rapidly growing fields? The Biology Department at Whitman College may be looking for you.
Whitman’s rigorous curriculum is designed to help you develop a solid and well-rounded foundation in biology with up-to-date and integrated coursework covering all the major areas of biology, from the molecular to the ecological. The curriculum also requires research or fieldwork to provide you with real hands-on experience in biology and to help you develop your science writing and communication skills.
In addition, biology majors enjoy access to a wide variety of collaborative research experiences; cutting-edge technologies and facilities; and a highly-accomplished, research-active faculty who are passionate about mentoring students.
Our students leave Whitman fully prepared to enter any biologically-related graduate program, medicine and other related health fields, laboratory and administrative positions at biotechnology companies, business and law schools, environmental work, and teaching. Just as important, they are prepared to enter the world as scientifically literate thinkers.
In addition to our comprehensive Biology degree, we also offer combined degrees in other Life Science areas:
- Biology-Environmental Studies
- Biochemistry, Biophysics and Molecular Biology (BBMB: molecular/genomics sciences).
- Oceanography/Biology: joint 5-year program with University of Washington
- Forestry and Environmental Management: joint 5-year program with Duke University
- Individual students have designed their own majors in such areas as Biology-Psychology, Astronomy-Biology, and Bioethics.
See Policies and Requirements for major requirements.