Mission and Principles
Whitman College Environmental Principles
Recognizing the impact Whitman College has on the environment and the leadership role Whitman College plays as an institution of higher learning, the college affirms the following environmental principles and standards, which shall be consulted to explore the practical ways Whitman College can promote an environmentally conscious campus.
- To reduce the amount of non-recyclable materials, to reuse materials when possible, and utilize recycled materials.
- To consider the eco-friendliest science and technology available to decrease our environmental impact.
- To continue to build an energy-efficient campus in the 21st century.
- To patronize companies that are active in their defense of the environment from further degradation.
- To encourage individuals’ environmental accountability through programs of environmental education.
- To consider environmentally friendly options when they exist and are practical in decisions regarding developmental projects.
- To further the use of reused materials, recyclable materials, and the Internet for campus communications.
- To encourage and request food service to make environmentally friendly decisions in purchasing food and supplies, reducing waste, and reusing materials.
- To maintain campus grounds through the employment of bio-friendly substances and services.
- To strive to improve upon current practices so we may harmonize the trends of the industrial world with the natural environment.
President’s Sustainability Advisory Committee Mission and Purpose
As official campus sustainability representatives, the mission of the Whitman College President’s Sustainability Advisory Committee is to promote a respect for and commitment to environmental awareness and responsibility within the Whitman College community.
Our purpose is to:
- Undertake a leadership role in representing members of the Whitman College community on sustainability issues
- Promote a lifelong commitment to environmental stewardship among members of the Whitman community through programs of education and awareness
- Support and promote the initiatives of students, staff, and faculty that serve to enhance the College’s sustainability
- Develop recommendations to the administration that further the College’s long-range environmental goals
- Uphold the environmental principles of the College and advocate for practices aimed at reducing Whitman’s impact on the environment